Boss Business Ladies: What’s your switch?

120605-switch

What’s your switch? That little thing that can pull you out of a motivation rut just as fast as flipping a light switch? That thing you need on days when all you want to do is park it on the couch, put your feet up on the coffee table, and watch Gossip Girl reruns for hours?

For me, it’s cleaning. If I start doing the dishes and then maybe Swiffer the floor, before I know it the bathroom is cleaned, couch vacuumed, plants watered, dog walked, bills paid, spreadsheets balanced, email answered, sites built. I usually come to my senses around 11pm and realize I’ve forgotten to eat, really have to pee and have kicked my to-do list right in the butt.

Accomplishing something little gets me moving and motivated to take care of even more. So, what’s your switch?

Comments

1. Lauryn says

Great question! Cleaning is definitely a great way to get motivated, because you can see instant results. I also love turning on music I can sing along to. It gets me in “the zone.”

2. Katie says

Mine is either cleaning or making a to do list with anything possible on it and starting with the easiest and working up to the more complicated or annoying. (I’ll even put “make to do list” on it, just so I can cross it off when I’m done haha)

3. Paola says

A deadline (even if it’s imaginary). If I don’t have a set point in which something has to get done I’ll put it off forever.

4. Lindsay says

It’s cleaning as well, actually! Just did it last night, but accidentally left my laptop at the office so all I did was manage to clean a bit. It felt so much better in my house, though.

5. Maša says

I was just thinking the same thing today! I was cleaning bathroom and a few hours later a half of the house was cleaned. :)

6. Amy says

Mine is tidying, and more specifically laundry. If I get up and immediately put a load of laundry on I find that for some reason I feel productive and motivated! I also cannot work with an untidy desk, and as my desk doubles as bedside table/dressing table it always needs tidying before I can start!

7. Angie says

Mine is coffee, a Monster energy drink, a brisk bike ride or – I swear – cleaning! If I can manage to get up and get goin’, de-stress by de-cluttering, etc. than I feel much better and more awake and ready. :D

8. Natasha says

I haven’t discovered it yet! :D People coming over when the house is a mess is probably the only that gets me to stay focused, hahaha.

9. Shelley says

I wish I had a switch! I really need to take notice of what it could possibly be.

Unfortunately, I rarely have those ‘accomplish everything’ days. I am a master procrastinator.

I’m off to clean my desk to see if it sparks anything in me!

10. becky says

mine is purging/cleaning. When I start doing inventory of what we have and what NEEDS TO GO, i get fired up. before i know it, both bedrooms are lighter, more airy and I have a car-full ready for Goodwill. It helps me with creative block AND sit-on-my-butt-block :)

11. Jennifer M. says

For me it’s trying to figure out a new design technique. Next thing I know I’ll have been on Photoshop for hours, watched dozens of how-to tutorials, and have wiled away the day and night!