Nerd Party: How to add new tabs to your Facebook page

SillyGrrl.com // How to add new tabs to your facebook page

I’ve been playing around with my Facebook page and figured out how to add a few extra boxes to the navigation at the top. Having only photos and likes made my page look a little boring and stale, so I added a link to the blog, an Instagram feed, my Pinterest boards and a link to my shop.

The first three are fairly self-explanatory, just follow the directions. The last one might be a bit confusing…

Instagram >>>

Twitter >>>

Pinterest >>>

Etsy Showcase >>>

External Links >>>

This one can be used for a few different things, but for an external link, you’ll want to choose redirect under Page Source. Add your link. Ignore all the fan-gating stuff (this means users will only be able to see this tab if they have liked your page – useful for running contests to add likes). Then add a tab icon if you like, change the name to whatever your redrecting to and add a new tab image. (Info on tab images is below :)

SillyGrrl.com // How to add new tabs to your facebook page

Note: You’ll need to be using Facebook logged-in as your profile account, not your page, to add apps. It will then ask you which page you want to add the app to.

Making the tabs look pretty
Just as you’d create a cohesive design for your website, you’ll want to use the same styles for your Facebook page as well.

To add a new image to a tab, create an 111×74 graphic. Then click the down arrow next to the tab and the little pencil icon. This will give you a dropdown menu with the option to edit settings. Click that and you’ll be able to switch out the image and give the tab a new name. The menu also gives you the option to switch the position of each tab with the exception of photos and likes.

SillyGrrl.com // How to add new tabs to your facebook page

And for future reference, here’s a handy dandy list of all the different sizes used on Facebook…

Cover photo: 851×315
Profile photo: 180×180
Tab boxes: 111×74
Shared photo 104×104
Highlighted post: 843×403
Tab page: 810 wide

Have you added any fun apps to your Facebook page?

CLICK HERE FOR MORE NERD PARTY POSTS

Comments

Thank you for this! I’ve been wanting to revamp the facebook page of the small business for which I work, and this helped me actually do it instead of just thinking about doing it.

2. Alison says

hey there, this post came at a great time for me as I want to smarten up the fan page I run for a fundraising group! One question if I may: can you only design/ place images for new/ additional tabs such as you show above? So I can’t add an image to the “likes” tab? Well, if it is possible, I can’t work out how to do it :/ Love your work – I am trying to learn new things and improve my design craft and you are an inspiration.

That’s correct, the like and photos boxes are unchangeable and unmovable. Which is super lame in my opinion, but Facebook likes to keep a tight grip on all the site options.

Perhaps I am missing something…. which is entirely possible. I have clicked in the “tab” area and of course I see where I can hit the “+” button to add an additional tab, but I don’t see any choices besides “Events, Videos” or “Notes”…. Is there a particular app that I have to use in order to get to the screenshot you have posted in this blog?

3. Annie says

Hey! So I am having trouble with the last one… I clicked on the external links, but then I don’t understand where you are finding the “page source” from? I’m just on my fb page, and theres an app for installing buttons. What am I missing?

Clicked on that link, then “Install Page Tab” and then it allows you to choose which page you’d like to add the tab to, then you’ll see the page source box.

Hi, thanks for the info! I’m having trouble with the external link option – the url being displayed is bigger than the tab. Do you know how to adjust the size of the external link so it all fits into the tab (doesn’t need scrollbars?). Thanks!

Thankyou! Thankyou! I googled it and tried a few apps but its work out. The way you explained it in simple terms made it esy to follow!, Good job!

6. Lianne says

Hey, I’m probably just totally missing this but I can’t figure out how to get to here. I’ve looked all over in the settings on my page and kind find anywhere thy says page source or add tab or add app. Please help a total newb!

Thanks so much for these easy to follow instructions!!

Question for you – I got it to work, but when I click on it now, it asks if I want to be redirected to the external site. Is there any way to get rid of that and just have it automatically go?

8. anat says

Hey,
    Do you know if it’s possible to add tabs to a “group” facebook page?
    We’ve been trying to do this for quite a while :)

Thanks!

9. Mari says

I successfully added a tab with an external link. I am trying to add another tab to a different external link, and it reenters the “Static Iframe Tab” page, although I can no longer the select the page I previously selected. (Maybe it’s one and done?!)

Is there some way to use the Static iFrame app to have more than one linking tab..?
    For example, one linking to a home page and a second to a Shop page….

Thanks for the information! Very appreciated

10. Josh says

Excellent! Is it possible to add a document tab app to Facebook? I’ve tried the PDF Tab but cannot seem to get it to work.. Any ideas?

Cheers!

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all
    is required to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost
    a pretty penny? I’m not very internet smart so I’m
    not 100% positive. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.