Working on something you’re bad at

handstand

I like to think I’m pretty graceful in the air, but on the ground I’m awkward as hell. My students have been working on handstands lately and now I’ve gotten the itch to try, but it’s difficult working on something you’re terrible at.

Looks like I’m really good though, right?? I can flip up against the wall and then float away for a whole three seconds.

I really would like to be better on the ground though. Lugging all that aerial equipment is a pain and sometimes it would be nice to just show up and do some cartwheels and back bends and walk around on my hands.

So I’m trying to turn this into a daily routine. Five to 10 handstands and working on coming up into the air without cartwheeling against the wall.

What have you worked on that you were terrible at in the beginning?

Comments

Hnestly I found it easier to learn without the wall once I was able to get verticle. It’s like a crutch that holds you back. Atleast in my case.

I’m pretty bad at comuunicating, I can’t think on my feet well and in my line of work you need to be whitty, I think i will always be working on it.

2. SJoCurt says

Two things that help.
    1. Try a yoga strap to keep arms in alignment
    2. Move away from the wall, it tottaalllyy holds you back.

Also, (and I’m sure if you practice in a circus space you get an abundance of tips allll the time but just in case you haven’t) if you do use the wall try facing in towards the wall by cartwheeling or walking up versus facing out. It works especially well if you’re doing conditioning (with blocks or just lifting hands or shifting your weight) versus practicing balancing because you can still rest against the wall but you’re using the right muscles/not arching your back when you do so.

Right now I’m working on two position splits in flying trapeze. I just can’t seem to arch my back enough, even though my back bends on the ground are fine. I swear, my arms are just too short! Ha!

Ugh this is on my list too! I follow some yoga teachers on IG and they make handstands looks so easy. Ps; I’m still doing aerial yoga and I love it so much I think I’m going to buy a full membership after my Groupon expires. I always think of you when I go! :)

Wow you just made me realize something, Sarah! I don’t work on things I’m bad at. I stick to things I’m good at, because that makes me feel good about myself. I avoid things I know I’m bad at because I’m just afraid of being bad at things in general. But I know that practice is the only way to get good at something, so I need to start making a point to face my fear of being bad at something in order to get better at it. I’ve never payed any attention to this until I read this post. Big “aha” moment here. Thank you!

You’re welcome! I definitely stick with things I’m good at most of the time too haha But it’s worth it to be terrible at something for a while to learn a new skill.

I worked on drawing. As a kid, it felt so easy, but somewhere during teenage years, the grades in the school told me that I’m not “talented” at drawing. So I recently started sketchnoting (because I think it’s a valuable skill), for books notes and talk notes – and I get better every day! :)

That’s great that you started back at it. It ridiculous how often people give up things they love because teachers or peers doubt their skills. If you love it keep doing it!

I just can’t do handstands, and the last time I tried I got kind of freaked out when a little burst blood vessel showed up on my face! But I’m doing pilates, have been for a few months now, and I’m not great at it, or even good, but I am getting better and learning (I hope) every time I practice it. Thanks for the reminder that I can stick at things, even when it seems I don’t…

Yeah I can see how all that blood rush to your head could do that! Maybe try working on forearm or headstands first :) I did pilates for a while and it was pretty challenging!

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give that a try :)
        Yeah, pilates looks like you’re doing nothing, when below the surface you’re trying to hold everything together!