Does your morning routine point you in the right direction?

large_42391997

I love reading about successful people’s routines. How they spend their mornings, what they eat, who they talk to. I especially love this series from Bon Appétit sharing what famous people eat for breakfast. I like knowing how kickass people get their engines started every day.

Yesterday morning I realized I created a pretty strict morning routine for myself.

I wake up, go to the bathroom, find a pair of short and sunglasses, get Slayer to sit still for 5 seconds so I can put on his harness and then walk two or three blocks. (generally already wearing a shirt in case you thought I was dog walking topless) Back at home I feed him, make myself eggs, toast and pour a glass of OJ and then settle on the couch to start with something simple – blog reading, Pinteresting, organizing my to-do list or editorial calendar. Something I can check off and feel a tiny bit of accomplishment and relief before tackling something larger.

I start the same way every day. A routine I can maneuver through on autopilot. I don’t have to figure out what to eat or wear. I move, I eat, I get myself going so I’m awake and relaxed by the time I do need to be creative or make decisions. I keep my mornings easy, so I can put effort into more important things.

CLICK TO TWEET: I keep my mornings easy, so I can put effort into more important things.

How do you spend your morning? Are you rushing around with a half-eaten piece of toast sticking out of your mouth trying to figure out what shoes go with your outfit? Do you power through the same workout every day boosting your endorphins to crush your to-do list at work? Do you read or meditate to enter your day with calm and gratitude?

Does your morning routine point you in the right direction or are you rushing all over from the start?

Photo: simpologist via photopin cc

Comments

My morning routine is very stripped down. Having night owlish tendencies, my bedtime tends to err a bit later than most, and thus I tend to want to sleep a bit later, and that generally means I don’t give myself much time in the morning between the time I get up and the time I leave… Usually 30 to 45 minutes.

That might not seem like I give myself a lot of time, but I rarely feel rushed the way I structure my morning.

If there’s something that might be a part of my morning routine that I can do the night before, I generally do it then… Like I shower at night instead of in the morning, if I need to take clothes to the laundry I pack it up then and put it by the door, anything I might need to pack to bring with me, etc. Planning ahead the night before makes the next morning way less stressful.

My actual morning routine between bed and out the door consists of going to the bathroom, feeding the cats, 5-10 minutes of meditation (though admittedly, I sometimes end up playing with the cats instead), getting dressed, putting on my makeup (if wearing it that day), and brushing my teeth.

I read a chapter of my book on the 20 minute train ride to work, and I eat my breakfast once I’m at the office.

I used to beat myself up that I’m not that person who wakes up two or three hours before I have to leave for work with an extensive morning routine that seems to have half the world conquered before walking out the door, but that’s just not who I am. I’ve found something that works for me.

I tend to wake up and read for a little bit, feed my cat, get breakfast, and do a quick pick up of things that have gotten scattered around the house. Then I’ll sit down, answer emails, make sure my Facebook and Twitter and running like I want them to, interact with anyone that has commented on either of those sites, and then I will start my work day. I much prefer easing into everything to rushing around, though some mornings I feel like rushing is inevitable.

My morning routine is so precious to me. I wake up at 5:30, a time that usually beats everyone else I live with by about an hour, and savor being alone. I start my coffee and a load of laundry, then get cozy with my laptop. I love to do some blog reading and catch up with the social media antics of my scattered family. I might work on writing a post or browse Pinterest, but I try to get through at least two cups of coffee before anyone talks to me. By the time everyone is up, I’m refreshed and ready to switch the laundry and take a shower.

I love this post and this question. Knowing about people’s routines is one of my life goals. I saw this great quote: “All I ever really want to know is how other people are making it through life. Where do they put their body, hour by hour, and how do they cope inside it.” (Miranda July)

• Sarah Morgan says

Yes! I love that quote, “how other people are making it through life.” Especially with Instagram and blogs it appears everyone has it easy when we know they don’t really. Super smart of you to get going early enough to make time for yourself before everyone else is awake!

This is exactly what I needed to read today! I’ve just started my first job, and have no idea how to start my day off nicely. Thanks for the tips!
    Beth x
    swallowsandskylines.blogspot.co.uk

I coach people through a “flip your days” exercise whereby you go to bed earlier AND get up earlier … but I never really actually did the “get up earlier” part as part of MY personal routine. We recently moved and lived in a house out in the country without drapery for two weeks, we were up with the sun (5:30am) and it has been absolutely exciting! To have a big chunk of my “stuff” checked off before the rest of the house even begins to wipe the sleep from their eyes is really wicked cool.

Breakfast for me is one of three combinations, my wardrobe is very much interchangeable (skirts, tops, fun jewelry and simple shoes) … grab and go.

Mornings are not my forte, which is why I need my routine. I shower & lay out my clothes & accessories the night before. I value sleep over a leisurely routine, so when my alarm goes off at 6a, I hit snooze once & give myself those extra 8 minutes to wake up a little slowly. Since I already have everything laid out from the night before, I just have to brush my teeth, change, do my make-up, and run out the door. 15 minutes, tops. If I dawdle, it takes longer for me to get going, so I rely on the “hurry up” endorphins to get my day started fast. I’ve always wanted to be a workout & shower in the morning person, but it’s just not how my body works, and I think I’ve finally come to terms with that. :)

I’m all about getting out the door asap. So I have my outfit in mind, my lunch ready to go, I don’t do my hair or make up usually so that’s not an issue. I eat breakfast at the office because my stomach needs a little time in the morning and I am out the door in under 20 minutes. I get to the office about 30 minutes early, so I have time to eat, and do some email/blog stuff before I start actually working. I have tried to be more mindful about my mornings, and it just never seems to work for me. I get about 2 days in and I’m back to hitting snooze and eating at my desk.